How should I assist my child?
There are a number of ways that you can assist:
- Check that your child’s homework diary is filled in clearly and regularly.
- Please initial it at least once a week.
- Agree a timeframe for homework and work within it. Ensure that things are not left until the last minute – especially at weekends and during holidays.
- Before starting, check that your child is clear about the task and has the relevant materials and resources.
- Provide suitable working conditions – away from the television!
- Negotiate an appropriate time and place that suits everyone concerned.
- Take a positive and active interest in your child’s work at home rather than just insisting that it is done.
- If your child finds a task difficult, resist the temptation to do the work yourself! The teacher will assume that your child has mastered the skill and set harder work next time.
- Let us know if there are problems with homework that you cannot resolve.
- If your child cannot complete the work, stop the homework session after the allotted time (give or take a few minutes). Please make a note about the problem in the homework diary.
Will there be any homework set for completion during holidays?
Pupils may have normal homework tasks during the breaks but may also be given projects to complete.